Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) & Gender Affirming Surgery

Do I need a letter?

First of all, it sucks that you need letters to make decisions about your own healthcare and your own body.

In California, if you are over 18 and are seeking hormone replacement therapy (HRT) to support your transition - you don't need a letter.

You can find a medical provider (physician, ob-gyn, endocrinologist, advanced practice nurse, physician assistant) who is familiar with gender dysphoria and who can evaluate your ability to provide informed consent to HRT. They can prescribe you hormones to support your transition without needing a letter from a therapist. *Some providers may still require a letter as part of their policy. But it is not required by California law.

If you need some names of providers (or if you are a provider!) who offer this service, let me know!

If you are seeking gender affirming surgery, your surgeon will likely require at least 2 letters. This is true whether you are planning to use insurance or not. Some surgeons’ offices will explain what needs to be in your letter.

OK I need a letter, can you help me?

Yep! Please contact me to schedule a free consultation.

I will send you some documents ahead of time for you to review and fill out, including a brief questionnaire to help gather relevant information.

Between your consultation and our appointment, we can usually cover everything we need. In order to ethically gather the information that needs to be in your letter, I may need to meet with you for more than one session.

What do you charge?

I offer this service to the transgender and gender-nonconforming community at a pay-what-you-can rate. #gatekeepingsucks